Graduate Research Opportunities
Multiple PhD and Masters positions are available at FSI lab, with starting date of Spring 2020 or Fall 2020. Candidates with interests in the following areas are encouraged to apply:
- Fluid-Structure Interactions and Flow-Induced Vibration
- Vibrations and Nonlinear Dynamics
- Renewable Energy
The position will be fully-funded, including tuition and a stipend. I am looking for energetic, focused, self-motivated and reliable candidates who are enthusiastic about the area of fluid mechanics, structural dynamics and fluid-structure interactions.
- A BS or MS degree (for PhD applicants) in Mechanical engineering, or other closely related fields
- In-depth knowledge of fluid mechanics, vibrations, and structural dynamics
- Skillful in experimental design, measurement and data analysis
- Strong hands-on experience, with machine shop and 3D printing skills
- Skills is 3D solid modelling, and CAD design
- Background in numerical methods, mathematical modeling (especially differential equations)
- Programming in Fortran, C/C++, Python, MATLAB, or other languages
- Experience in developing numerical models and computational algorithms
- Strong motivation to perform cutting-edge research and to publish high-impact papers
- Experience with flow visualization techniques, such as Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)
- Background in fluid-structure interactions, flow-induced vibration, nonlinear dynamics and control
- Experience with machine learning in Python or other languages.
- Experience with CFD software such as OpenFoam/Fluent/COMSOL Multiphysics
- Publication in internationally recognized journals
Interested candidates should send their CV, unofficial transcripts, unofficial English language test results (if applicable), and a short cover letter (max 1-page) to Dr. Banafsheh Seyed-Aghazadeh (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the cover letter, please include relevant projects, your research interests, as well as your future career goals. The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Students applying to our lab must fulfill the admission requirements to UMassD graduate program.
UMass Dartmouth is a tier 1 National Research University, located just 15 minutes to the ocean, 30 minutes to Cape Cod and 60 minutes to Boston!
Read more about PhD program in Engineering and Applied Sciences at UMassD.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
FSI lab is always looking to hire motivated undergraduate students who are interested in research subjects related to fluid mechanics and structural dynamics area. The candidates are expected to be familiar with 3D printing and CAD design and preferably have machine shop skills. The undergraduate students are expected to be involved in the design and fabrication and of experimental setup in the lab, as well as running experiments in the water tunnel facilities. Undergraduates working with Dr. Aghazadeh have been co-authors in journal publications at some highly recognized journals and have presented their research at international conferences.
Postdoctoral Fellows and Visiting Researchers
Postdoctoral Fellows, Visiting Researchers and Professors with relevant research interests and their own funding are always welcome to spend time in the FSI Lab at UMass Dartmouth. Please contact me to arrange your visit.